Kia ora tātou.
Please see below key safety information and links for areas impacted by Cyclone Gabrielle. Information is changing regularly and frequently, please make sure to check the sources below for updates.
Key National Messages
The government has announced a grant for businesses hard-hit by Cyclone Gabrielle and the January flooding. Businesses can apply for up to $40,000 through the local agencies administering the funding:
The funding for the seven affected regions is limited, so we advise you to get your application sorted as soon as possible.
Other financial relief packages include:
• Tax relief in the form of interest write-offs, tax concessions for donated trading stock and an extension of R&D Tax Incentive filing deadlines.
• $500k for the Enhanced Taskforce Green progamme to help hard-hit communities with the clean-up mahi that is required.
A Cabinet Committee has also been set up to help coordinate the Central Government response and recovery from Cyclone Gabrielle. It is chaired by Grant Robertson, with Barbara Edmonds as deputy, and will be led by several Lead Ministers for each of the affected regions.
The following Ministers are tasked with reporting back to government on the local recovery approach for their regions:
• Northland - Minister Kelvin Davis
• Auckland and Coromandel - Minister Michael Wood
• Waikato - Minister Nanaia Mahuta
• Tairāwhiti and Bay of Plenty - Minister Kiri Allan
• Hawke’s Bay - Minister Stuart Nash
• Tararua and Wairarapa - Minister Kieran McAnulty
Civil Defence payments are also available if you are in one of the areas impacted by the cyclone. Visit Work and Income for more information including eligibility and access.
If you are looking for someone or worried about a whanaunga you haven't heard from, head to the Police 10-5 website and complete the appropriate form.
If you are in immediate danger, call 111.
Your regional or local authorities are still the key point for information - see links to each region below:
Te Tai Tokerau | Northland
Tāmaki Makaurau | Auckland
Waiaua | Coromandel
Tairāwhiti | East Coast
Te Moana-a-Toi | Bay of Plenty
Te Matau a Māui | Hawke's Bay
Tararua | Wairarapa